Thursday, July 5, 2012

Holiday Recipes

I’ve just returned from a fabulous vacation in Greece. While on Mykonos, I sampled a couple of salads that were delicious and refreshing. Our guide outlined the ingredients list, and I’ve tinkered with the recipes. I think these are close approximations of what I ate on the island. They're both really easy to make. Enjoy!

Taramosalata (Fish Roe Salad)

I find fish roe in the dairy case at my supermarket. 

50 grams red fish roe (about ¼ cup)
4 slices hearty day-old bread, crusts removed
½ pound potatoes
Juice of one lemon
NO salt
Pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
          
Soak the bread in warm water for about half an hour. Drain and squeeze out excess water.

Boil the potatoes, peel, and lightly break up the pulp with a fork.

Mix the fish roe and lemon juice and carefully separate the eggs from one another.

Place ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.

Taste and adjust seasonings. You may wish to add more lemon juice or dill.

Serve with bits of toast.

Tzatziki (Cucumber and Yogurt Salad)

Greek yogurt, made from sheep’s milk, is creamier and lower in calories that other yogurt. A suppler around the corner from where I live keeps it in stock, so I use it most of the time. If you are unable to find it, buy a plain (unsweetened) yogurt.

1 ½ cups Greek yogurt
2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
2 tablespoons grated red onion (use more or less to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

1.      Combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper.

2.      Taste and adjust the ingredients to your taste (i.e. add more onion or yogurt)

3.      Season with salt and pepper.

4.      Chill and serve.



3 comments:

Heidi Noroozy said...

I love Tzatziki. First had it at Greek restaurants in Germany. It's very similar to an Iranian dip called mast o khiar, which is flavored with mint instead of dill.

Patricia Winton said...

I first encountered the mint version from an Iranian American student intern at my job many years ago.

Teacher Mummy said...

Very nice blog you havee here